Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Maintaining the Bathroom

I've managed to keep the bathroom under control, for the most part (occasionally it gets out of hand), since April 2014. This was one area where Flylady actually worked for me (I'll go into why it is and isn't working elsewhere in a future post).

Swish and swipe, almost every day, is working. Sometimes I forget to do it on weekends, but most mornings I remember to pick up any laundry on the floor. And put away counter clutter. Then I wipe down the counter, mirror, then the toilet with yesterday's hand towel (which my husband has tossed unceremoniously on the floor) before tossing it in the towel hamper. Sometimes I even think to knock the dust off the corners of the tub before wiping down the toilet.

It has taken a long time for this to become a habit, and there are times I have to force myself to do it, but it is working. It's not a particularly large bathroom. In fact, it's the kid's / guest bath. My mother-in-law has the master bed / bath, and I rarely go in there. But with 3 of us sharing the smaller one, it can clutter up pretty quickly.

I have not gotten into a habit of sweeping or mopping on any regular schedule, but just doing that much keeps it close enough to company-ready that sweeping and mopping isn't a big deal when we invite people over.

Don't get me wrong, most of the visible areas of the house are a complete mess. But as long as the kitchen and bathroom are clean, I don't mind having close friends over. They know me. They don't seem to mind, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment